Friday, May 27, 2016

Spring is a great time for the North fork of the Wabash-Cannonball Trail!

     If there was a pick day of the season so far, I would say last Sunday was definitely it:)  Getting out on my bike was a no-brainer.  This would be the first time this season I would ride on the north fork of the Wabash Cannonball trail.  The South fork is mostly corn fields and blazing sun, so I usually like to save that for fall.

     This time I rode with a new riding buddy, Mitch, who is also a fellow "Bike To The Bay" rider.  By now all of my other riding buddies know the routine, quirks and all.  It's not a ride without pictures. I like to think of myself as an amateur Photographer (wanna-be).  But Mitch still had to be schooled a bit...

     Of course I gave him two options, he could prepare to make several slow downs and stops, or he could carry the camera and take pictures as they present themselves.  Being that he's a seasoned rider, I think he thought holding the camera was the lesser of the two evils.

     We hadn't gone very far  before I saw some awesome pink flowers growing out of the rocks along the side of a bridge.  Normally I would yell "STOP", I would take the picture and we would continue on.  But Mitch had the camera, so I yelled "TAKE A PICTURE OF THOSE..." Never mind, we're past them... 

     And as you can see, on the other side there were no flowers:(  Oh well, maybe on the way back:) 


     At one point the trail was peppered with bright pink flowers on both sides, but by the time Mitch pulled the camera out we were past them.  Oh well, maybe on the way back...
       We did see a photo worthy view at one point and Mitch said how about this?  Sure, it wasn't pink flowers, but it was a cool picture, and proof that spring was here:)


        And this tree was ripped out of the ground at the roots from a recent storm;  That picture was Mitch's call, but very interesting to see none the less.

     As we were riding a little further, Mitch stopped and said "hold on, I saw a turtle on the trail back there".  So he rode back to rescue it.  I never saw the turtle, but I trust it must have been there.  Could I really have been so consumed with the scenery that I almost ran over a giant tortoise?!?  Guess I need to focus...

     But as soon as Mitch bent down to rescue the poor little guy I yelled "WAIT", TAKE A PICTURE!!"
     Okay, it wasn't a giant tortoise, but this poor little guy sure looked fearful for his life. 
     Notice in this close up, he made sure to pull every extremity back into his shell.  He had his own personal storm shelter.

     We finally made it back to that bridge and there was no way we were passing it again with out a picture of those pink flowers.

     I know you're probably wondering why I'm riding on the wrong side of the trail (if we were in Europe no one would even think twice), but  while we captured the flowers I figured I may as well have proof I was actually riding by getting in the picture:)  Illegally, but at least I'm riding!!

     The ride ended up being just under 20 miles, and the good news is, we rode non-stop for ten miles each way.  The Bike To The Bay has rest stops about every ten miles, so I know I'll be ready:)  On the way back however, I did have to shake the feeling back into my hands, but I survived...

      My bike rides, as well as my life in general, can tend to be complicated.  I'll be the first to admit I'm a high maintenance rider.  But all the pictures make me happy, and having someone spot for me is huge.  I've just excepted the fact that improvising is my way of coping.  Incidentally, all of my riding buddies know this by now and have graciously accepted it.  I'm very fortunate to have such great friends.  



     Mitch made it through his first high maintenance ride unscathed, and If I haven't scared him off, the next time should be a breeze!!

Have a great day!!

Christine:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)