Friday, August 19, 2016

You see what you've been missing when the excuses finally run out.


     If there's one thing I've learned, living a life with MS, is it's usually a whole lot easier coming up with a great excuse rather than explaining why I "can't" do something.

     I've gotten extremely creative with my wording so that it's the absolute truth, yet leaving no room for people to question it.  My favorite is "unfortunately I have a conflict with my schedule".  Total truth!  Is there anyone on earth who doesn't have some sort of conflict??  And who would think to ask what the conflict is...

      Pat and Elaine, the owners of DMC Technology group, for many years have organized a company picnic at the Toledo Mud Hens baseball game.  However, it's always in August, which is the absolute worst month for my crazy body to walk outdoors.  I'm one big hot mess.  I know there is a ton of walking involved between parking in a downtown lot and walking to the stadium, and then the miles of walking just to get to your seat.  By the time I got to my seat I would have to be scraped up off of the ground.

     But year after year I manage to slide by practically unnoticed, and I have yet to have a schedule that would allow me to make it to the outing (or so they thought...).

     This year, the temperature was  expected to be around ninety, and there was no way in the world I thought I could survive that heat.  Ironically, everyone at DMC knows all too well that it's my poor body, and not my crazy schedule causing me to skip the picnic, year after year.

     Elaine texted me saying " I know the heat is supposed brutal on game day, and no pressure, but if you decide to go Pat and I would be very happy to pick you up and you and I could be dropped off right at the gate".  I really appreciated the offer, I mentioned to Elaine that I would love to go, but I would be walking at a snail's  pace and holding her back.  However, Elaine is also creative in her wording.  She told me that was perfect! It would give us a chance to catch up:) But she totally understood if I didn't think I could handle the heat.

     Then Mike, one of my co workers mentioned I could always be dropped off at the third base entrance and it was a straight shot up the stairs, and I would be right where I needed to be.  Now my excuses were all used up, except for possible rain... fingers crossed...

    Surprisingly, it wasn't as brutal as I expected, and being that I cover the front desk only when my BFF Maryann, isn't there, I never get to talk with her other then a few words coming and going. How cool was it to hang out! 


  It was looking like the perfect day for a ball game.  I would have never known that if I wasn't nudged a bit.
                                   
     Occasional thunder suggested that we may have ended up getting drenched, but I really didn't care. What was the worst that could happen?? My bionic leg hoopla could short out or rust,lol.

     I've seen many sun rises on my early morning bike rides, but I can't tell you the last time I experienced the beautiful sky as dusk sets in. 
     I saw pictures I thought were only possible in a painting.
                         And clouds like cotton candy.

     What?!?!  Pink?!?!?Those were for me, I'm certain!!

     However, the best feeling came over me when I noticed the night sky had hit, and I didn't turn into a pumpkin.

     I may have "outed" myself by confessing my sneaky tricks, to avoid a situation I didn't want to gamble on.  But in this case my bet paid off!!  And If I hadn't tucked that bag of excuses away, I never would have known it:)

Have a great day!!

Christine:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)