Friday, January 29, 2016

We ride bicycles up north; but do they really ride pink flamingos down in Florida??


     So we all know by now that I'm obsessed with bike riding, and it's been a long process in and of it's self just modifying my bike to fit my every need.  And as you also know my trip down to Florida is only a week away now; YAY!!  You have no idea how anxious I am to get down south in the nice warm sunshine!

     These past few years I've been slowly but surely starting to cross things off of my bucket list, and as you know, on my trip last February, two things I was able to put a check mark next to were Hang-gliding and Parasailing.  I told you I had a couple more things waiting in the hopper for this trip as well. 

     The first item may seem like a "drop in the bucket" to most, but it's huge to me.  My cousin, Keith, knowing how much I love to ride bikes, suggested we go on a critical mass ride while I'm down there. For those who don't know, it's an event where hundreds of cyclists ride in a group through the streets of a major city to raise awareness of cyclist's rights to share the road. 

      I've taken this challenge before in downtown Detroit, so I knew I was capable of it.  However, this bike ride in downtown Fort Myers would take place the evening I arrived, after a half day of travel.  We both knew there was a good chance I would be a big hot mess.

     But knowing I rarely pass up a challenge, he suggested we get a tandem bike in case my legs turned to rubber.  This was a great idea!  I've never rode a tandem before and I was anxious to give it a try.  As it is, I have one super strong leg, and one that spends much of the time freeloading off of it.  How awesome would it be to have three strong legs to carry that dead beat... the leg, not my cousin:)  Bonus (and Keith doesn't know this yet), but I just may put my feet up from time to time and see if he even notices, He,He...

        Now, up north, this is the bike I always ride, and it fits me like a glove.  But my friend, Lisa, recently sent me this picture below, hoping to help me fit in while I'm down in the sunshine state.  I'm so lucky to have friends who look out for me:)


        Now as practical as this idea may seem to you, you know I had to think this through logically. After all, I'm no fool! I asked Keith if he thought this would count as a carry-on.  While he doubted it would, he made the comment that maybe Flamingos are considered service animals in Florida!  See what I mean?!? Always looking out for me:) 

     Of course, I've already got enough of a side show going on just trying to get through security,  so maybe I shouldn't press my luck, and I'll just stick with the tandem idea...

     I'll let you know when I get back just how well this tandem thing worked out, and you'll just have to wait and see what other crazy stunts I'm able to mark off my list:)

Have a great day!!

Christine:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)