Friday, July 29, 2016

Ever wonder what it's like to ride your bike on the interstate? I sure came close!


     Well, I found a new trail in my area, which wasn't easy.  I've been on every trail within a sixty mile radius (or so I thought).  This trail, I discovered on my way up to IKEA, with my daughter and the grandbabies.  However, as a passenger, and due to idle chit chat, I lost track of how far we had been driving when I spotted it out the passenger side window, while we were traveling on Interstate 275.  Ironically, when I researched it later, I found the name to be "I 275 trail". Go figure... who came up with that clever name?!  It actually begins at Heinz Park, In Michigan, and that was where I hoped to find the starting point.

     When I ventured back up with my riding buddy, Robert, looking for the trail, what I remembered as being a quick jaunt over the state line, ended up being about an hour drive... oops...

     We never found signs for Heinz Park, but we did see the the bike trail as it ran through a rest stop off the highway; and that would be where we would begin our ride.

     As a kid, I used to love these rest stops!  All I remember was, there were usually snack machines inside, and of course, one could only hope one day my parents would cave and let us actually put coins in them... at least we were able to pick up all the "free" brochures, advertising the area attractions, our little hearts desired!! 
     Well, I wasn't looking for any free brochures, or snack machines, so I never made it inside this day...

     This bike rack would indicate that there must be someplace locally to pick up this trail, other than riding down the highway.  Maybe we'll find it eventually...


     When I researched this trail it was noted that parts of it were extremely noisy, due to the adjacent freeway traffic.  They were absolutely right! 
     The noise surely had to go down as soon as we found Heinz Park...
                                      
     But not before riding under the highway...
     It looks like somebody had a little time on their hands...

     YES!! Pink flowers! You know I live for them:)
Finally!  This looks more like it!  We were soon going to be riding in a park, rather than next to the freeway!

     Maybe not... Come on!!  A gravel trail!?!?!  Not with my road bike!!  Not in a million years would I ride on that with my skinny tires.  Sky dive, yes...  but gravel trails absolutely freak me out!

     So it was back to the noisy freeway for us.  Yes, it was loud, but at least I wouldn't be picking little pieces of gravel out of my "road rash" covered body, which was certain to be the case if I wiped out on that freaky gravel trail!  I wasn't in the mood for that!! Not today...

     Now I have one more trail to add to my list of "probably not again".  But I did learn that just because you see a bike trail from the highway doesn't mean you want to ride on it.

Have a great day!!

Christine:)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)