Friday, September 16, 2016

I've fallen, but I CAN get up... again!!


     I'm sure we've all heard the expression "get up one more time than you've fallen"; And for most people it's merely a metaphor. However, for someone like me who has MS, this actually means wipe the blood from your wound and move on.

     I've had MS for so long that I know all too well that while I want to make you think I'm wonder woman,  I'm absolutely not.  Things most people take for granted require immense thought if I want to land on two feet.

     It's true, my days of running are over, but that doesn't stop me from trying to take any short cut I can, just to save a step.

     How many times have we carried ten plastic grocery bags inside, while our fingers turn blue, just so we don't have to make two trips??  I do that all the time, and unfortunately, for me, the word "trip" has a whole different meaning. 

     This particular day, I strapped on my "Wonder Woman cape" and planned to conquer the world (or at least pick up a few things from Costco...)  Of course, Costco doesn't use plastic bags; I'm guessing it's just a way to save cost and the environment...  

     So I have this cute pink Victoria Secret Tote, my friend Maryann gave me, which is the best thing since sliced bread for carrying my Costco things inside.  But this day I decided to save just one more step, and juggle several items in my arms, while fumbling with the key to unlock my front door.  

     This was where I did my all too familiar "swan dive", when my right foot (the one that doesn't like to listen to me) decided to hit the step.  Oh yeah, I went flying!  And my "Wonder Woman Cape" was no help at all!  Of course, as anyone in my position knows, the first thing I always do (scary to think I actually have a routine for this...) before checking for broken bones or a broken brace, or even checking to see if my astronomically costly nerve zapper is still working, is to look for that freakishly scary audience.  When there are no signs of a witness, then I can continue on to assess the damage.
      The good news is, I was still able to walk (although, I was limping... wait... I already had that!)  But there were no broken bones.  My zapper and brace appeared to be in tact, so I actually dodged this bullet entirely.  No one would ever be the wiser... But then I noticed blood seeping out from underneath the cuff of my nerve zapper. 
Now, anyone who knows me will tell you, I would rather cut off my right arm than see blood.



     Yep, I was a big old baby!  But I eventually took off my drama queen crown, wiped the blood off with my "wonder woman cape"  and realized I had survived getting up one more time than I've fallen... again!  

     So the next time you hear that very familiar metaphor, just remember... some people take it literally:)

Have a great day!!

Christine:)



     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)