Friday, March 31, 2017

Rome wasn't built in a day either:)

     I mentioned last week that I was going to take my pedal dilemma back to the drawing board; and after a lot of brainstorming, I think I'm actually getting closer to a solution.
These clamps on the ends seemed like a great idea in theory; and they may work perfect for someone with perfect mobility of their feet.  But in my case, the spasticity in my feet makes it impossible to clear the spikes with out knocking the top heavy pedal forward.

Now the challenge would be to figure out how to make these pedals weighted in the back so they don't automatically flip forward...  maybe weights???
   As luck would have it these little metal weights from a local hardware store happened to fit inside my pedals perfectly.  What are the odds...
A few on the top and a few on the bottom, secured with a Zip-tie worked beautifully!  And an added bonus was the weights added some height to the pedal so the spikes weren't quite so pronounced.   
Notice how the weights allow the pedal to balance upright perfectly.
This is what's going on upclose...

There is still a bit of a spike that may have to be ground down eventually, but like I said, Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm just happy to be one step closer.  Now the next issue is figuring out how to prevent my shoe from snagging on the zip-tie.
                                           
  But again, where there's a will there's a way!  For now I'll continue to work on sliding my foot in the clamp while my bike's on the trainer.  Being secured upright lets me go faster and get a better workout, without the bike toppling over while I attempt to get my foot in the clamp.  I think I've mentioned before that I'm not a fan of road-rash, so I seriously don't want to wipe out.   My trainer is literally like training wheels. Now, training wheels out on the road may get a few strange looks so I think I'll not attempt to do that:)
I guess you'll just have to check back to see what's next!  I have some time before I'm out on the road again, and I'm not done yet!  Just watch and see...  

Have a great day!

Christine:)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)