Friday, May 30, 2014

When a grey cat crosses your path does that mean mediocre luck??

     

     The University parks trail is a trail I used to love to roller blade every day, back before this MS business decided to make things complicated.

     I would travel from one end to the other and back in about one hour; approximately 13 miles.  Every night like clock work I put on my blades and hit the trail as though there wasn't a care in the world.

    The fact that MS and foot drop has made it impossible for me to roller blade any more isn't going to stop me from hitting that trail again; only now it's on my bike.  In the past couple of weeks I went on that trail with friends, and it brought back fond memories from the past.  However, I wouldn't dream of hitting the trail by myself anymore.  What if I got a flat?? or wiped out??  Who would help me??

     The other day I had plans with friends, to ride the Wabash Cannonball trail, which starts by Fallen Timbers Mall and goes out by Oak openings park.  I was really looking forward to the ride and it was a long trail, but I planned to divide it into three parts with breaks in between to see if I could actually make it 35 miles in one day.

     However, the plans fell apart and we had to cancel the ride.  I was a little bummed; I actually had bike shorts on with padding so the long ride didn't make make my poor little booty ache for days.

     But I wasn't crazy!  I totally had to wear gym shorts over the padded shorts.  I mean, what girl wants extra padding?  We're always asking "does this make my butt look big!?!?"  Well, hello!!  padded shorts!!  Heck yes, they make your butt look big!!

     But that was neither here nor there because we weren't going anyway... But wait... this was my chance to take that leap of faith again and do my favorite trail on my own.

     At the University Parks Trail there were a lot of people who had the same idea as me, and I felt comfortable knowing that if I did break down I could surely get some help.

     But as I got further along the crowd started to thin and I knew it was time to head back;  Okay, I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

     At the end of my ride I came across a young couple sitting on a park bench lacing up their roller blades and I decided to ask them to take a picture for my blog before they began their ride.  

     They were more than happy to, and as the girl was taking a couple pictures the guy continued to lace his blades.  I mentioned to them that I was riding in the MS bike to the bay.  They said "good for you!" They just so happened to have a friend who was newly diagnosed with MS.

     I told them I have MS, and for many years I had roller bladed this trail, only now with the MS I've traded in my blades for a bike.

      I thanked them for taking the time to help me and the young man said " It's no problem, this is my first time on roller blades and I was glad to stall!"

     Thinking back, I knew the feeling, and I assured him one day he would love it!!

     Oh... the grey cat thing... so as I was riding, this grey cat came darting out from nowhere, and the first thing that went through my mind was "dang lucky that cat wasn't black!!"  But when a grey cat crosses your path does that mean mediocre luck?  That day I would call it GOOD!

Have a great weekend!!

Christine:)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)