Friday, May 15, 2015

That pedal hasn't seen the last of me.



          After my little run in with my pedal the other day, I knew there was no way I was getting back on my bike until I solved the problem.

     Having screws on my pedal to stop my shoe from slipping off... ingenious!  Screws that stop me from getting my foot back on the pedal... not so much...

     There had to be a happy medium.  My thought was if I could grind the screws down just a little bit then hopefully I could slide my shoe back on, but at the same time it wouldn't slide off when I'm pedaling fast.

     I took my bike to the bike co-op where I usually work on my bike.


               

     As you can see, these things were crazy huge; and when my leg feels like it weighs 200 pounds those little screws felt mammoth. 

                 

     At the co-op they had a handy dandy grinder that would cut right through these things, and you're right, I'm not doing the grinding... but HELLO... somebody had to take the picture:) Plus, if I was to lose a digit or two then we would have even bigger fish to fry... 

     However, I was right there putting my two cents in as to how much to cut off and whether or not we should cut down both sides. I figured we could cut the one side first and see if I could train my foot to flip it to that side when I start up. Then I could leave the side with the longer screws alone to keep my foot securely planted when I'm riding at a high speed.  We could always grind the other side down later if my plan didn't work out.  But there's no going backwards.
                      

          Then "we" (metaphorically speaking) had to sand the screws down so the rough edges didn't gauge my shins up.  We'll see how that works out...
                             

     I'm anxious to get back out on the trail and see if we fixed the problem, but if we didn't, you betcha, I will be back:)

Have a great weekend!!

Christine:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)