Wednesday, May 13, 2015

What you see isn't always what you get.


      Over the last six months I've been trying to come up with new exciting stories about my brace just so I don't drive myself crazy explaining the same old story to everyone I meet, every single day, for the rest of my life; and I have to admit, the time I spend on my bike I love the feeling of being "normal" for just a little while.

     When I'm riding my bike I don't wear any of my bionic paraphernalia for two reasons... one: I can't make the rotation of the pedal with my brace and cuff from my nerve zapper on, and two:  they are of no help anyway.

     After I got my zapper, though very helpful in stopping me from tripping, it was as if I was wearing a sign that said I'm not normal.



I actually think I look like I'm in a prison yard here:)


     But before long, I got over it.  Then I got the brace and it stopped my leg from snapping backwards, though that too told the world I have something going on, but what...



     But when I ride I'm in heaven, because on the bike trail I'm a perfectly normal cyclist as far as the average eye can see.  I don't have to explain any challenges; I just simply ride!



   The only challenge I have is keeping my weak leg from slipping off the pedal.  But by this picture you wouldn't think this leg is weak at all.  I work very hard at keeping it strong, so physically, it isn't really weak; but I can't convince my brain of that, because sometimes when I tell my brain to move the muscle, my brain says "no way"... Not to worry; I have little screws on my pedals to stop my foot from slipping off...

     It's a good thing I'm training for the Bike To The Bay though; I learned on my ride on the Wabash Cannonball trail last week that I might need to make some adjustments, because I may "look" normal, but normal is one thing I'm not.

     A trail that doesn't cross major intersections is a breeze to ride by myself, but if I'm riding where there are cross roads I always need a second set of eyes ahead of me to warn me when on coming traffic is approaching, so I have time to down shift for the anticipated challenging re-start.

       Truth be told, that seemingly impressive ride on the Wabash Trail, where I rode seven miles both ways without stopping, didn't exactly go off without a hitch... One thing I have learned with MS is, the more taxed my body gets, the more my brain and nerves don't communicate with each other.

     We came to the intersection of downtown Whitehouse and my trainer told me there was traffic ahead, so I needed to stop. After the traffic passed, he took off. However, my brain and legs didn't want to cooperate.  The strong leg pushed the left pedal but my "weak" leg got caught up on the screws and I wasn't able to slide it up and onto the pedal.

      There I was, at a dead stop in the middle of the road.  I was so glad I wasn't with the driver in the car that was approaching me, because he was probably cussing up a storm... wait... I might have been safer in that car than in the middle of the street... He had no idea; After all, I was a "normal" rider...

     I did manage to get my keister out of the road unscathed, but not without ruffling a few feathers along the way.  Though I did learn I have some work ahead of me to solve that foot issue before the BTTB. I may not be able to fix my brain (not yet...) However, I can sure try to do something about that pedal.  But don't you worry; if there's a way, I'll find it:)

Have a great day!!

Christine:)
   






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)