Wednesday, September 9, 2015

My car is nothing more than something to get me from point A to point B.


     I know I'm probably in the minority when I say I couldn't care less about the car I drive.  As long as it gets me from point A to point B, and fits my bike in the back, I'm as happy as a pig in mud.  

     My dreams never involve some fancy sports car, and the thought of shopping at the car dealership makes me absolutely crazy.  All of my cars have had a living will; I will never pull the plug until they take that last and final breath.

    However, my most recent car has been on life support for the last year and a half and I was dreading the day I would have to get out of my comfort zone and look for a new one. After all, it was a good ten years old and like me, it had many battle scars. It made it through my kids learning to drive, and then all of the bike grease from loading "Terry" (my bike) in and out a million times over.  

     But I didn't care, it was mine and it had character.  This car brought me many fond memories.  I'm sure when I get my next car I'll be more careful about the grease; but for now it was just fine. My plan was to drive this thing into the ground.

     But that day I dreaded most, finally happened; my worn out comfortable car would take it's last and final breath.  Out of nowhere, I discovered my car was spewing  out transmission fluid like a backyard lawn sprinkler.

     My brother knows everything about cars and I was certain he could put a band-aid on it and I would be back on the road.  He replaced some long black pipe and I though that was the fix.  

     Of course the next day as I was driving home the "hot engine" light went on and there was a loud continuous beep that sounded like a ticking time bomb, and then I began to smell transmission fluid. I was a little nervous... Oh, who am I kidding... I was freaked out, as I just kept praying I would make it home.  I finally made it and as I turned off the engine I noticed it was smoking like a chimney.  YIKES!!

     I tossed and turned all night, dreading the thought of getting a new one; one that would fit my bike and that I would be happy with for the next ten years. But maybe I could just put another band-aid on it...

     I called my buddy at tireman and he told me to bring it in, and once again I drove the whole way there in total anxiety, as that beep got louder and louder.

     The news I received wasn't good; he said he hates when bad things happen to good people; yep.. the transition was toast:(  

     After a few tears, I knew it was finally time for me to trade in my old security blanket. It might sound like bad news, but I began to realize that I had done exactly what I said I was going to do; I drove my car into the ground.  Truth be told... I sensed the transmission slipping for about a year and a half, but no mechanic could find it because it only did it on occasion; but never when I wanted it to.  I knew it was only a matter of time. The good news was, I got eighteen months more than I was supposed to:)

     So I was finally off to find that car.  I didn't need perfect; all I needed was one that wouldn't let me down. One that can carry me and my things when I need it the most; and I know it's out there:)

     Check back and you'll see... :)

Have a great day!!

Christine:)






                                     




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)