Monday, March 2, 2015

Life is all a state of mind.


                                         

     When I had my very first symptom of MS thirty years ago the only therapy was a four leaf clover and a prayer.  It took scientists many years of research and a lot of hard earned money for them to find a way to slow it down, but they did.

     The biggest drawback to this, however, was that it was done through injections.  Being a real needle-phobe, it wasn't until I had my first sign of permanent nerve damage twelve years ago before I decided to give myself my first shot, but not before shedding a few tears.

     Of course, these shots didn't work on everyone, so they had to work diligently to find other therapies that did.  Thanks to all of the donations from generous people through things like the Bike To The Bay, they now have eleven therapies to slow down the progression of MS.

     In fact a couple of the therapies are actually in the form of a pill.  As some one who is absolutely sick and tired of needles I was thrilled that I might never see one again.

     But like I said before, there are many different therapies because there are many different types of MS, and nothing about MS is certain.  What works for one, may not for another.

     After twelve years it was pretty clear that my therapy was the right one for me but I also know "shot fatigue" is a real thing, and I truly believed I had it. What started out years ago as "one, two, three... go..."  soon had a zero after the 3.

     I got out my calculator and figured out I had given myself over 1700 shots, which was 1700 more than I ever signed up for, and I decided I was done.  At my next doctor's visit I told my Neurologist I had had enough of the needles and I wanted to give the pills a try.  He told me my therapy has been working for twelve years and it wouldn't make sense to rock the boat right now and end up with more irreversible damage.  That was easy for him to say, he didn't  have to jab himself over 1700 times. 

     He knew best, but it was my body, so I took his recommendation with a grain of salt, but wasn't taking the other option off the table.

    However, the day finally came where I physically could not put one more needle in my body and I was actually willing to take my chances.  Though after some mental encouragement I realized I absolutely "physically" COULD do it, it was the mental part that was throwing me.

     I had to understand that if it wasn't for these shots I might not have working hands to give them.  So I finally made up my mind that as long as I have working hands I'll do what ever it takes... and when the day comes where I can't, I'll just find more hands:)

Have a great day!!

Christine:)

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)